Identity and access management is an IT framework that analyses and manages digital identities in a company. A company is thus able to easily control employees’ access to some private or vital information in the organization files. The IT framework can scan and identify users who accessed specific systems or networks within the company. This system thus ensures that the company information is safe from any unauthorized access, and if any user makes a breach can easily be identified through the framework. Employees or individuals viewing, creating files, or making some modifications to existing information are identified through the IAM system.
Components of IAM
Below are some of the top elements of IAM in an organization:
- Clearly states how users are identified and a clear procedure on how the organization’s roles are assigned to them.
- Plays a more significant part in updating user files and their roles in the organization.
- Assigning varying access levels to each individual or a group of people in the organization based on their roles or ranks.
- Ensuring that the company data is safe and fully protected from any access by unauthorized individuals in the company.
What the IAM should entail:
- Advanced technology system to enhance the organization’s performance. It should reduce the time taken to complete certain takes in the organization.
- The system should comprise all the necessary tools to create, capture, store information, and effectively manage the user identities and roles in the company.
- The system should also provide the particular privilege levels that are meant to categorize all user positions and their role assignments in the organization.
- The system should also be flexible for any user updates or file modifications.
Benefits of Identity and access management
- The IAM system has positively impacted on the company’s user control roles. Access to private data or takes is only granted to authorized individuals through access technologies.
- Data or information breaches are minimized. The identity and access system can effectively minimize breach of the organization’s key information or data by granting access to only a few individuals with senior positions in the company.
- Improved performances in the company since roles are quickly assigned to different workers in the company, and their takes can also be controlled through the identity and access technologies.
- Compliance to government rules. The system ensures proper storage of data and financial records for quick audit reports. Therefore any official who needs to access the information can quickly gain access to the controlled data.
Risks of IAM
- Storing all organization data or information under one file risks the loss of such information in case unauthorized users gain access to it.
- Upgrading to the IAM system could be a great challenge as users get to convert the available resources into the new systems.
- The IAM system is a non-profit project and may be difficult for organizations to fund such projects. However, inefficiencies in security and data management roles significantly impact on the organization’s performance as well. The company may be forced to spend a lot of funds in retrieving lost data or information breaches, and it is therefore essential to install this technology for the efficiency of the organization’s roles.
Miriam hands over the topics our writers work on and assures completeness and quality of submissions from Security Insider Access’ operations perspective.